It is easy for meter boxes to become damaged. They are outside and often against the elements; from wind, rain and even vandalism, you may notice general wear and tear to your meter box. Rest assured it is very easy and simple to replace your meter box according to the damage. We have put together some instructions based on the damage done…
Replacing the meter box hinges
If your meter box door is damaged, you do not necessarily have to buy a whole new meter box, it may be a case of replacing the broken hinges. The hinges of your meter box are usually the first place you will notice any damage. After buying new meter box hinges the repair process is straightforward:
- Remove the existing pin.
- Insert the new door pin hinges into the existing hole.
- Use a hammer to secure.
Replacing a meter box door
It is a good idea to replace your meter box door if it is badly damaged. We offer replacement gas and electric meter box doors. Once you have ordered a new door, carry out the following instructions to replace it:
- Ensure you have the correct size door for the frame.
- Find the pre-drilled holes into which the door pins are inserted. Hold the door upright and insert the solid stainless steel pin into the bottom/top recess.
- Press the pin in fully and slide it into the top recess, allowing the pin to spring back into the pre-drilled hole.
- Close the door as normal and lock.
Replacing a meter box latch
- Place the latch section on the inside of the door.
- From outside of the door, insert the wavy washer and then the latch post, clicking into place.
- Turn the key in the lock to check if you replace the latch correctly.
Replacing a metal latch
Replacing your metal latch is straightforward. Follow the instructions below:
- From the inside, insert the door bolt through the lock.
- Put the wavy washer and the star lock washer on the door bolt from the outside of the door.
- Ensure the wavy washer and the star lock washer are fixed firmly in place.
If you have any questions about your meter box, from which meter box products you need to buy, to meter box repair kits, then please do get in touch with us and we will be more than happy to help you out!