Fitting Plastic Overboxes and Metal Overboxes
This guide can be used with our full range of Plastic Overboxes or Metal Overboxes here at RepairMyMeterBox. Whether you’re well equipped for DIY jobs or a beginner in the field, this guide makes the process of fitting the overbox for your gas or electric meter as easy as possible. We’ve also included a video demonstration for fitting the overbox on the left of this page. Happy fixing!
What Is An Overbox or Meter Box Cover?
An overbox is there to provide your meter box with protection from damage and weathering. The overbox sits over your existing gas or electric meter box and comes in either plastic or metal. Whether your meter box is internal or external, overboxes provide the perfect solution to cover either new or damaged electricity meter boxes.
Fitting A Meter Overbox Steps
Before you start fitting your meter overbox, depending on space that is available, it may be necessary to remove the old meter box frame. This should be done without touching the inside meter or inside meter box but merely to remove the outside frame so the box is flush to the brickwork.
To carry out your overbox installation fully, we advise using the following tools:
Pencil for marking
Drill & Drill bit
Silicone (suitable for external use)
- Ensure that the old meter door is removed from the damaged box, and then place the overbox over the current damaged meter box.
- Using the guide holes available, line up and mark the fixing points for the meter overbox on the brickwork.
- Remove the meter overbox and drill, rawplug the holes to allow fixing of the overbox frame. Remember that depending on the overbox that you have chosen, you will have a different amount of fixing points. See our range of meter box overboxes below.
- Next, refit the overbox frame, realign to the drill hole points and screw into place.
- Fit the overbox door if this is needed.
- If required, for extra protection silicone can be applied around the frame of the meter overbox.
Please Note: If you have any pipes or cables that run up the brickwork into the existing meter box then you would need to cut out the overbox frame to allow it to go over.